Music is Life

Scott - Lemont, Illinois

Nothing is consistent in life: nations change, fads change, even people change. But music—music is constant. No matter where you go on earth music is there. Music may be just background noise to some people, but I believe that music is life.

Music is a method of speaking, people use music to say things they normally can’t. An example of this is John Lennon. One of his most famous songs “Give Peace a Chance” is simply the same saying of give peace a chance repeated. If he were to just say give peace a chance over and over it wouldn’t have had an impact but since he decided to sing it and had a simple tune on the guitar it became the theme song for anyone against violence. Songs are also used as stories for the people to hear. From everything to the life of an American, like Jack in the song “Jack and Diane” by John Mellencamp, to trying to escape the wall society places around you in Pink Floyd’s album The Wall. I also have a few songs that I felt have changed my life in one way or another. The one song that changes my whole day every time I listen to it is Youth Group covering Alphaville’s “Forever Young.” This song makes me question everything about life and makes me want to understand more about what happens later on in my life and if these years really are the best years of my life.

Music also leads to embarrassing moments in everyone’s life. Everybody has once sung a song they like but don’t want people to know that they like. I admit I do this all the time but one story that comes to mind is when I was at my friend’s house, He had to run inside for something so I was sitting in his car and the song “Hold On” by Wilson Phillips came on. I had the volume up to full blast and was singing as loud as I can, I didn’t realize though that he came outside and was just sitting there watching me make a fool of myself.

Everybody loves music even if they don’t realize it, whether its singing out loud to yourself or just sitting around listening to a songs lyrics and understanding the story, music is in everyone’s life.