Innate Intelligence

Daniel - Verona, Pennsylvania

When I was in Chiropractic College, I had a teacher, Dr. Virgil Strang. He was a warm and wonderful man, and we spent many hours together. We forged a friendship that lasted beyond my time in college, and lasted until he passed away several years after I had graduated and moved away to start my own practice.

One time he and I were discussing chiropractic techniques, or methods of assessing and adjusting and interacting with patients. There is a great multiplicity of chiropractic techniques being used throughout the world. Of course, like in many professions, we chiropractors love to debate techniques and tout our own as clearly the best — if not the only — option for a patient’s well-being. At the time that I was in Chiropractic College, Dr. Strang was the Dean of Chiropractic Philosophy, and his assessment was this: each chiropractor must find the technique that allows his innate intelligence to communicate with the innate intelligence of the patient.

I believe that we do each have an innate intelligence, and our individual innate intelligences can, in fact, communicate with one another.

The way that I explain this to my students and patients is that you are basically made of a pile of rocks and a bucket of water — mostly water. There is some thing else inside of you that organizes and animates that stuff so that our physical lives and actions are truly an expression of that non-physical intelligence.

This has lots of names. In chiropractic philosophy we call it innate intelligence. Though, it is not unlike the concepts of Qi or Prana or whatever else we might call it. The fact is that we are more than we might appear to be.

This is what I do as a doctor. I strive to help others better express this spark that is inside of them. Ultimately, to remove the barriers that keep us from expressing the best that is within each of us, regardless of whether those barriers are physical or emotional or chemical.

I do believe that we are each endowed with something innate that is intelligent. We can use this to better express with is within us, and help others to do the same. Ultimately, we can use this energy to better experience and express our lives and make our corner of the universe a better place for all of those with whom we come in contact.