I Believe in Acting Like A Child

Kelsey - La Grange Park, Illinois

I believe in acting like a child once in a while. No matter what I am doing, if I’m too stressed out about school all I need to do is color or play outside to relieve it.

During the summer of 2007 I was babysitting my adorable neighbors that are the prime example of just going outside and playing with anyone that was around them. When I approached their backyard they had already begun their day of adventures. They eagerly yelled to me to join them. They were playing on their swing set. As I stepped closer they invited me to play pirates. I suited up with an eye patch and sword and quickly glanced at myself and how stupid I looked, but I could see that the kids did not care at all. We fought the evil pirates and sea monsters while protecting our loot. We succeeded in making it to the island, the sand box, where I could see they were not afraid to get dirty. We continued to dig for treasure when their mother pulled up. I was so into the adventure I’m sure their mom was wondering where their babysitter was.

As I walked home I realized that I appreciated the day’s activities more than the money. In just a couple of hours they taught me that I needed to step out of my skin and act like they did. Their lives are so simple. By acting like a child I can step away from the drama and love everything around me. My mind is able to fill with so much creativity it makes you want to paint the world or at least color outside the lines. Kids don’t care what people think about them or if they ruin their clothes. It is all part of being a child.

As a child I was able to step outside and there would always be someone to play with. Today with our schedules we must plan ahead and sometimes that doesn’t even work. When you are a child there a very few things you need to care about. By acting like a child I am able to enjoy the small things in life like night games or the ever so great slip –n-slide.

Acting like a child is one thing I passionately believe in.