To Forgive Is To Forget

Morgan - Chicago, Illinois
Themes: forgiveness

Four years ago my brother was kicked out of school within the first two weeks of his freshman year. He did things I cannot fathom to think about, things your mother warns you about. The irresponsible thing he did I have tried hard to erase from my memory. Nobody wants to see their sibling’s life completely go up in smoke.

Up until that moment he was my role model. When I had a homework or life problem I went to him. I used to do everything to be like him, I remember one day in fourth grade my mother took us shopping for winter coats. He was into football, so obviously he picked out a Greenbay Packers jacket, and seeing how much he loved it made me love it. You can guess that the next day at school we came matching in bright green and yellow Greenbay Packer coats. This trend of “copycatting” was snatched away from me due to one bad choice on his part. We all need someone to look up to whether we are young or old, and losing that one person can make a huge impact on your life. It can also seem like death has struck upon that person.

Four years ago I used to be proud to be called “Steve’s little sister” But then I hid my face from anyone who knew him. It’s only recently I’m no longer ashamed— because I believe in forgiveness. I offer him forgiveness for diminishing my respect for him, forgiveness for blackening my reputation, and forgiveness for not setting high expectations for me. After the incident I realized I could get away with many things because he was in so much trouble, but it clicked that excelling in things my brother didn’t get the chance to, would redeem his bad choices. I feel I redeem him every time I receive that much sought after A+, or the moment I step out onto the volleyball court. Little by little I am giving him a better reputation and I’m beginning to forget about his mistake.

I believe in the power to forgive. I think it greatens the power to forget. Forgetting incidents can repair relationships. I now have forgotten my brother’s bad decision, and it has made us closer than ever.