Kay - Dallas, Texas
Age Group: 65+

I believe in the Universe. Incomprehensible in its vastness, awesome in its beauty, mystifying in its functioning. From the stars in the night-time sky to the breathtaking pictures from Hubble—the Universe is all around us, daring us to defy its power.

I believe in Life. It’s everywhere. On our planet we find Life in the most unlikely places: microorganisms on grains of sand, thriving ecosystems around volcanic vents in the sea floor, tiny creatures living in our eyelashes. I must ask, “Where is there not life? I dare not limit its scope to only that which my imperfect mind can perceive.

I believe in Intelligence. Has it not manifested itself in our own evolution? For that same reason, I believe in Love, Hope, Reason, Wisdom and Purpose, each with its opposite number. Because we experience these things, we dare not deny their reality.

Matter that appears solid from our perspective is actually composed of vast spaces, populated by spinning universes of its own, when seen from the perspective of the electron microscope. Why, then, is it not reasonable to think of the Universe as itself a body, functioning to the “N”th degree in its intricate way, supremely exhibiting the Intelligence, Love, Hope, Reason, Wisdom and Purpose more dimly reflected in ourselves? Is this not a more realistic way to think of “God” than those we commonly employ? I can not think otherwise.

Since “time immemorial” the Universe has been bringing forth life in abundance—and taking it back. As was proclaimed in the “Desiderata” of the 1970s, I am a child of the Universe; a part of” rather than apart from. Therefore I trust the Universe to deal with me as it has dealt with all its myriad manifestations—however that might be.

Serene in that trust, I dare to soar.