Life Is There To Live

Shiloh - Bartlesville, Oklahoma

If there is one lesson that I have learned, it is that you should live your life, because no one will live it for you.

When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not ready. The challenge will not wait. Life does not look back.

There’s no getting around the fact that sometimes, bad things do happen. But in the midst of pain and sorrow, we must remember that life has to go on. The world will not stop just for us, nor will it let us off to recuperate properly. Come what may, life has to proceed on its course, wherever that will lead. And we have to move with it.

Just as things must happen, all things must pass. Just as the caterpillars eventually become butterflies, people must grow and change. Like the flowers born in soil enriched by an animal’s death, we must take our losses and grow from the knowledge they give us. Breathing in is unspeakably similar to the way life goes on, if one thinks about it properly – in and out, living and not, on and on, forever. Some of us just leave the cycle before others. It is simply a matter of cleaning up the mess we leave and learning how to avoid making it in the future, which, in some cases, is inherently complicated.

Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live, so if I’m afraid of the bull that is life, there’s no point to anything. I must not be afraid to live. I can’t just laze around like a sitting duck and wait for life to happen to me; I should walk up to life, grab it by the horns, and command it the way I know I can.

Life is a carnival. The rides, the jugglers, even the cotton candy! And with all the unpredictability of a carnival. Even if at this carnival I’ve just been mugged on a ghost train and left in a ditch behind some dodgy stand, it’s still there for me to live.