I believe in the theater

Rachel - Edina, Minnesota

I have been an actress ever since I was four years old playing make-believe in my back yard. Since then, I’ve moved on to community choir musicals in grade school to my high school’s performances twice a year. I’ve played everything from a Walmart employee to Glinda the good witch, and I’ve loved every second of it. Acting has always been a release for me: no matter how bad my day is, if I get up on a stage and pretend to be someone else for two hours, I feel invigorated and refreshed.

I believe that in a certain way, we are all actors and actresses, and I think this is a good thing. The real world is scary and complicated. Escaping it every once and a while is a necessity. Many people would see this as running away from your problems and refusing to deal with them. On the contrary, I think that acting is the perfect way to deal with your issues. If you completely escape your world, even for a little bit, you can return to it with a new perspective and a willing attitude that you couldn’t have had when the problem first arose.

The theater is a very powerful thing. It can change the way you think and feel forever. My acting teacher always says, “if you’ve just performed in a play, and an audience member leaves the show only to walk two blocks in the wrong direction, you’ve done your job.” He is so right. The point of theater is to make a difference by conveying truth through fiction. Oftentimes, actions speak louder than words, and in this way, a performance can mean so much more than an article, book, or lecture on a topic could.

I believe in the power of the theater. I think actors are some of the most gifted

and amazing people in the world. We should learn from them and let their powerful performances inspire and change us. My greatest dream is to be a Broadway actress, because I believe that acting out fantasy is the ultimate way to cope with reality.