Dream the Impossible

Tara - Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Themes: hope

I believe in the power of dreams.

No, I am not talking about the enchanted or magical kinds of dreams I experience involuntarily while I’m sleeping. Rather, the kinds of dreams that I have chosen to endeavor to accomplish—the goals and ambitions that I have decided to aspire to achieve.

For years, my dreams have provided me with certain goals that I wish to accomplish. And so, I have always had a purpose in mind when I went about living my life. In my dreams, I can do anything; I can be anything that I want to be. I am not limited by the same constraints that limit me in real life. In my dreams, I am truly free. I am liberated from others’ expectations and evaluations of what I am capable. It is in my dreams that I most fully live the American dream, and that I am able to dare to achieve true life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

As a senior in high school, I will soon see whether many of the dreams I have had for myself since I was a child will be realized or not. Finally, I will see whether or not all of my years of hard work will pay off. And yet, I realize that whether or not these dreams are translated into reality is really quite inconsequential. My dreams have guided me on my journey through the mysterious adventures of childhood. They are the landmarks for which I am always on the lookout, the landmarks that I am always striving to reach. Whether I reach these landmarks or not, just seeking them out has allowed me to accomplish more than I ever could have imagined. So, whether or not I win a major competition, or am accepted into the college of my dreams, is immaterial. By dreaming the impossible, I have been able to achieve the improbable.

A life without dreams is a life without purpose; a life without dreams is a life unlived. Too often, people are afraid to dream of what they could be, and instead, accept those limitations imposed upon them both by themselves and by others. They never even contemplate the extraordinary things they are capable of. How can greatness ever be achieved if it cannot even be dreamed?

So this I believe: Dream the impossible; always reach for the moon, for even if you fall short, you will land on a star.