I Believe In Helping Others

Sheila - Martha, Kentucky

In my senior year of high school, a trip was organized for volunteers to go down to Louisiana and help with the Hurricane Katrina Flood Relief. I will admit one thing that completely sold me on the idea was wanting to see a particular person sweating in a thin white tank top. It makes me sound like a bad person, but that was just a small plus to the reason I really wanted to go. I wanted to go help people because they had lost everything. Sacrificing a whole spring break to work? Most people thought it was stupid. Thinking back on it now, there is no other way I would have rather spent that week.

This one lady’s entire yard had been nothing but mud which baking in the hot southern sun, turned into dirt. I’m not talking about the dirt that you just wipe away, this stuff was caked on there. It took a team of twenty high school kids, two teachers, and several broken shovels and hoes to make it look half-way decent. The lady was so grateful; she went out and bought us soda and those little red plastic cups. It doesn’t sound like much, but she was elderly and just the thought was enough to bring a tear to my eye. There was a few people across the street who watched us and they were so moved by our gesture to help out, they gave us a tub of Mardi Gras beads. Again, probably doesn’t sound like much, but it is one of the days I’ll remember forever.

I didn’t get drunk or wind up on MTV but I don’t think my spring break could’ve been any better. I believe that helping people is one of the key ways to achieve complete happiness.