Expressing Music

Haley - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe music can be expressed in any situation.

On December 6, 2006 my grandpa passed away. He died of a very sudden and brief heart attack. I was very close to my grandpa and my uncle who was in charge of the funeral, asked me to open the service by singing. At first, my parents didn’t think I could handle it, didn’t think I would be able to keep my composure. But I so badly wanted to do it for my grandpa, for the one who always encouraged my voice. I picked out the perfect song and my parents decided to let me do it.

On the day of the funeral, I saw the casket and I just broke down crying because it didn’t look like him at all. I doubted that I could do it without crying. Then, I thought of the last time I saw my grandpa before he died at my singing concert and I wanted to do it. I sang “Precious Lord, Take My Hand” and I kept my composure the whole way through even though people around me were crying. But when I was singing that song, I felt that my grandpa was right there supporting me. I think of my grandpa whenever I sing any song. I miss him so much but when I feel like I’m missing him the most I just pull out my favorite picture of him and sing like he’s right there and I can just feel that he’s there listening to me. Now, whenever I sing that song I can feel my grandpa’s presence.

Music can be expressed in so many ways. It can express how you feel, what kind of personality you have, or just listen for pleasure. I seem to express myself through music. Everything I do relates to music. Music just makes me feel happy. I love to listen and make music. It soothes me in whatever state I’m in. Music helps to come out of my shell and just be myself. This is why I believe music can be expressed in any situation.