Time Well Wasted

Hailey - LaGrange Park, Illinois
Themes: carpe diem

Time Well Wasted

December 26th: the day after Christmas. The house is a mess, there is wrapping paper covering the living room floor, dishes in the sink that have been neglected for days, plates of leftover cookies littering the various tables of the house, and yet no one lifts a finger to clean up. December 26th is pajama day in the my household. It is a day dedicated to sleeping late and doing nothing. We will all lounge around enjoying our new gifts; watching new movies, playing games, and just relaxing in each others company. Sure we should be cleaning, after all the house is a mess. We should do all those dirty dishes and vacuum the floors, but we won’t. We will just sit and relax and enjoy the day as if we have nothing better to do. Tomorrow we will all wake up early and begin to straighten up the leftovers of our Christmas celebration. Tomorrow the dishes will be done and gifts put away, but today, all we will do is nothing.

I find that people often spend most of their lives doing everything they should do exactly as it needs to be done, but will this really mean anything? Years from now are we going to look back and remember all the little things we did; all the times we did the dishes and cleaned the house and got our homework done on time. Or are we going to look back and remember how we would spend all night on the phone talking to our friends, and how we spent and entire day watching chick-flicks on the couch with our moms, or how and entire afternoon was lost playing video games with friends.

I believe in fun because people tend to take life way too seriously. I believe in doing nothing all day even when there are things to be done because nothing is good sometimes. I believe in the random fun moments that become the things that will be remembered because it makes me remember why life is worth living. I believe in time well wasted.