I Believe in Spring

Hayley - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Themes: nature

I Believe in Spring

Nothing comes sweeter to my Minnesotan heart than springtime. When there are three feet of snow covering the frozen ground, and the thermometer reads a negative double-digit, no thought is more exhilarating than the notion of spring. After what often seems like a decade of snow and ice, suddenly, small, green buds adorn the winter-worn trees. Not only does the disappearance of icy tundra signify the final few months of school; with the soft spring breezes arrives a fresh start.

The final months of winter mark the dreariest time of the year. While most people happily make New Year resolutions in January, I hold out until March for my new beginning. Come spring, even the slowest class is infused with sunshine streaming through the windows, cracked open just wide enough to allow for breaths of bright spring air. Homework becomes bearable again, and once I’ve finished my work, I am able to Rollerblade from lake to lake. Spring’s arrival is naturally evident throughout Minneapolis. It may be measured by the length of the tulips shooting from the new grass at the edge of Lake of the Isles, and marked by the rain that sinks deep into the thawed soil. The bulbs and seeds tucked into the ground months ago finally emerge with entirely unique stems, petals, and colors. The city is no longer caked in the gray dregs of winter, for the steadily rising, yet mild temperatures have melted away the grime. As the world around me strips away its thick, slick shell, I, too, shed my heavy winter coat. In the spring, I feel lighter, body and soul.

I am truly inspired by the way the earth transforms itself during spring season. Late November till early March, all is covered by snow and stored so quietly, one might worry the bitter cold has conquered all forms of natural life. Yet miraculously, spring arrives with resilience year after year. Lush foliage and newborn animals punctuate my surroundings, proving that no matter how harsh or how long the winter, all things emerge anew.

Through my darkest days, the memory of springtime shines brightly within my heart, serving as a constant reminder to never give up hope. Soon, the sun will once again peek through the clouds, and as the days pass, the hours of sunlight will lengthen. I believe in springtime, because is a beacon of optimism, and eternal evidence of rebirth.