Saving Lives

Rebecca - Minneapolis, Minnesota

I believe that all people, regardless of their location or financial situation, are entitled to proper healthcare. Healthcare is one of the most important issues facing the world today. Throughout the world people are suffering because they are unable to afford adequate healthcare and nutrition. Access to proper healthcare, medical care, and nutrients can lengthen one’s life or save their life. My strong belief that proper healthcare should be universal has inspired me to want a career where I can help people get the medical attention and information they need to better their lives.

I came to strongly believe in the importance of healthcare during high school when I have worked with economically disadvantaged people in many different settings. During the summer of 2005 I lived in the Nausori Highlands of Fiji in a third world village. While there I taught children English, built and painted several schools, and created pathways through the village. I stayed with a Fijian family and slept in their home. This was an eye-opening experience for me because I had never seen such a level of poverty. As a guest in the one room Fijian house, I slept on the only bed while the family slept on the floor around me. It was clear that the village children received no healthcare, vaccinations, or adequate nutrition. I believe that there is absolutely no reason why these innocent children were suffering. They had a much lower chance of living a long and healthy life than American children solely because they could not afford the same type of medical care that some children received in wealthier countries.

I volunteered for four years of high school at nursery schools in Minneapolis and noticed that these children and their families also received inadequate healthcare. The problems with healthcare are not only present in poor third world countries. They are also present in wealthy modernized countries like the United States. I believe a country as wealthy as the United States, with the ability to spend more money on healthcare should be doing it. Most of the families at this Minneapolis nursery school did not have job protection or medical insurance and could not afford to get their children the medical attention they needed. My experiences have shown me that healthcare in the United States and throughout the world needs improvement. People are suffering from lack of nutrition, medicine, and disease control. I believe that countries, like for example the United States, have the ability to prevent problems in global healthcare and should.

I have experienced first hand the many health-related problems found in both urban and rural settings, both within the United States and in other countries. Something must be done about the lack of global healthcare today. Economically disadvantaged people are not receiving the medicines and healthcare they need. I believe that people need to step up and work towards making a difference because it would save thousands of lives.