Personal Truths: What Do You Believe?

Sarah - Spring Valley, California

I remember being 7 years old and being confused by the fact that every Sunday, I was forced to: put on my best dress, curl my hair, and strap on my best shoes as if I were getting ready for a splendid party. All this fuss, just so my grandma could drag me to this plain and oppressive building with crosses affixed to everything.

The only thing for me to look forward to once inside, were sermons on why I was going to hell and that Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation. Moreover, the church attempted to force me into believing a two thousand year old text was the only truth there was. Science was wrong, and the Bible was right. I was taught to throw my own personal beliefs, however limited at that age, out the door. Even at age 7, I knew it was wrong to have information forced down my throat, instead of seeking the truth out myself.

Many people go through life never questioning the validity what they are being told, whether it is from their: mother, uncle, priest, or oppressive ruler. Instead of seeking out the truth through exploration and questioning, too many people float through life content on passively accepting the easy “facts” they are told. Truths are made to be questioned.

I believe in finding your own personal truth.

Personal truth is something you have found, not something that has been told to you. I believe you need to gather all the facts about a situation and from those facts, decided what you believe to be the truth. In reality there is no 100% truth. There is always another side to the story or another angle from which to see the situation.

An unfortunate fact of being human is, we are forced into believing what we are told until we are old enough or smart enough to start questioning what we are being told. Sadly, many people choose to believe what they are told from the womb without questioning the truth or fact behind what they are being told to believe. Blindly believing in an idea that has been told to you, instead of seeking out and exploring the truth is where the problem lies. Once someone has reviewed all the facts and aspects of a certain situation and has come to the their conclusion, whether right or wrong, then they have found their personal truth.

Personal Truths. Every human being has their own set of personal truths. No two sets of personal truths will ever be the same. Personal Truths are as varied as the people that own them. I know what my personal truths are. I’ve sought out my personal truth and found it through living, learning, and exploring. I’m content saying I don’t have all the answers, and I don’t claim to. However, I do have my own personal truths that no one can take away from me or tell me is untrue. Have you found your own?