Everyone Has A Story To Tell

Katrin - Ruhland, Germany

Almost everyone has spoken to a friend about their deepest feelings, talked about problems, told some jokes, or just talked nonsense for fun. No matter what we are talking about to our friends, relatives, acquaintances, or even strangers, we always tell them something that seems very important to ourselves. We tell them s little story. It does not matter to us, if this story is wise or pointless; it has a meaning to ourselves, and that is why we share it with people we love, like, adore, or just think that there are polite. We talk every day. In all possible situations, we talk. There are so many people who believe they are not special. However, I believe, they are. They are special everyday because of the stories they tell. It does not matter what social status people have. It does not matter if they are affluent or indigent. There is no one who does not have a story to tell. Everyone has a story to tell.

Last week my host mom told me about a reporter on the news. Every other week he looks for a story to tell. First, he throws a dart on a map of the United States of America. Wherever this dart lands, the reporter goes to that county. Once there, he opens the phone book and flips through it. He puts his finger in one of the pagers and wherever his finger points, he calls that number. The reporter asks the person answering the phone if he would like to tell him a story about his life. My host mom also said that there was only on person who refused him. All the other did talk about their life with this reporter. According to her, the stories have always been very appealing.

After listening to that story, I started thinking: What would I talk about, if there would be a reporter at my door who wants me to tell as story? Would I have something very interesting to tell? A long time I was arguing about these questions with myself. Then, I finally decided the right answer to all my concerns. No matter what I would talk about, it would be appealing when I am convinced it is. It depends on what I think about my story.

However, I decided that I could speak about so many things. These would not be very extraordinary, but they are special to me. And I believe that everyone has such a story to tell – a story that is interesting, funny or, emotional. It would mean just a story that means a lot to oneself.

Maybe some time there will be a reporter in my house who will ask me about one of my stories. And maybe I will tell him about this essay – an essay about one of my strongest beliefs. The belief that everyone’s story is unique, special, and interesting. The belief that we should take some time to listen to these stories because everyone’s story is important in its own way.