Holy

Pierre - Encinitas, California

I believe that spirituality reveals itself through the patterns in nature and in numbers. It is incredible, in my opinion, that some numbers repeat or follow a certain order. Take the number 3. When raised to various negative integers, there will be a pattern in the series of digits in the decimals. I know that I am truly a geek because I find it beautiful that such an event occurs. I think it’s fascinating that numbers behave in a way which was not anticipated when humans first identified this concept. This leads me to the conclusion that at some point in time, someone stumbled upon a doorway to a greater existence.

Numbers can relate to just about anything I can think of. They can be applied to sports (determining trajectories and keeping score). Scientists in the food industry can use numbers to esitmate the percentage of cacao in their chocolate (because really, who doesn’t like chocolate?). Cars are often considered better than others depending on their horsepower which surely enough, is calculated. There are even statistics about anythign I look at. For example, did you know that average life expectancy of a bad guy in a Chuck Norris film is about 4 seconds? That shows you just how ubiquitous numbers have become.

For me, spirituality is the inner-peace I get from belief in a higher power. However, I don’t necessarily have to go to church to feel spiritual. If I assume that something more powerful than I can imagine created existence, then perhaps there are clues and signs that would prove this. Clues of this have been left in writing, though there is a lot of controversy surrounding those. When I see numbers, though, I see concrete proof of the workings of a supreme force.

Now, don’t get me wrong as I am a confirmed Catholic, but for me, religion teaches spirituality through behavior. Though this is the most common route to spirituality, it involves a lot of faith. That makes it difficult for someone like me who loves strong evidence. I’ve been told that meditation can lead to a more spiritual lifestyle as well. I have to say that I have very little experience with it, but from what I understand, meditation requires a lot of peaceof mind and stillness of spirit. Once again, because of my nature I have a lot of trouble with keeping still! It’s simply that the cold, hard nature of numbers is appealing to me. I just can’t argue with math. Some might say, numbers are digits written next to each other, what’s so special about that? Well, it’s not so much about the digits as much as it is about the order in which they appear. When I see patterns that emerge from fractals like Koch snowflake and when Fibonacci numbers appear natural objects like pineapples and sunflowers, I can’t help but be amazed as such tremendous beauty. In patterns and in numbers, I believe.