A Life-Long Bond

Kristin - Christiansburg, Virginia

My 15th birthday was one of the worst days of my life; it was the day my brother left. David is three years older than me but sibling rivalry has never been there with us. Sure, we pick on each other, he threatens to kill whatever boy enters into my life at any given time, and he has driven me crazy at times, but fighting-never. The two of us have always seen things similarly, which means that we get along. When I joined him in high school, our relationship heightened since we were able to connect on a new plane. Well then he graduated and found Outward Bound. With this program he was able to do what he loved best; he was able to be in the outdoors. He soon found an excursion that lasted about six weeks. During these six weeks the group would learn survival skills by being shoved out in the wilderness. He was ecstatic; I was not. He was to leave on my birthday. Starting on this day, I would have absolutely no contact with my brother for the extent of the six weeks. I was devastated. I came to school on that day crying my eyes out and was immediately surrounded by my friends. They all attacked me with hugs and candy and consoling words until I was able to get myself back together. Throughout that day there was never a minute where I was alone and able to think about David. My friends were able to immediately take my day and make it better with only a little bit of work which leads to me believing in the power of friendship.

Without my friends, I don’t know what I would do. Sometimes, they are the only thing standing between me and insanity. No matter what happens or how stressed I am my friends are able to cheer me up, and that is something that everyone needs. Lately, I’ve been getting to know a friend of a friend over the internet and one thing that he wishes he had is close friends. He has told me many a time that he isn’t really close to many people where he lives and how his only real friends live on either side of the country from him. These conversations have really made me realize how amazing it is to have somebody who truly and genuinely knows you and how to cheer you up. It’s absolutely amazing to have someone who knows when something is wrong without having to ask. This is what these conversations have made me realize and I pity him. No matter how hard I try I just can’t seem to imagine a life without friendship. I can only imagine as a life without food. Without food you simply starve and die, a life without friendship would do the same. I believe that friendship is a necessary part of life and without it, pure insanity. Friendship has the power to overcome all challenges and resist insanity; this is what I believe.