TJ - Countryside, Illinois
Themes: sports

I believe in hockey superstitions (superstitions that revolve around hockey). I have a lot of different superstitions that believe work and I also have some that do not but others do believe in.

The first area of superstitions I will bring up is equipment. For example, I used to wear my shin pads on the opposite leg for good luck, this all started because I did it one game and we won. The win streak continued for 18 games, ending in a championship victory. Another superstition with equipment is the way I tape my stick, I believe that it is bad to tape your stick from the toe to the heel, I do not have any evidence that it is though. The most current of my hockey superstitions is a candy cane-style tape job on the shaft of the stick (the part you hold). That means that I put tape around the stick to make it look similar to a candy cane. Our team this year won about seven games while I had this style going, and the other guys picked up on it to. Now, about half of our team does this same tape job on their stick.

The second area I want to talk about is the starting line. This year I have noticed that when a certain offensive set consisting of three players (called a line) is on the ice with a certain pair of defensemen (called a D-line) we do better throughout the game. My coach does not believe me though.

A third area I would like to discuss would be superstitions I have picked up while coaching. (This first example is not about me but it did help me believe in hockey superstitions even more than I do) My dad and his three assistant coaches all grab a puck before the team comes on the ice to warm up and they toss them like Frisbee towards one of the face-off dots on the ice and see who can get the closest to it. They believe that when they do that, they win games and their last ten games show it, as they are on a winning streak and are in the state playoffs. The next example is one of my own experiences; last year, I was a -student coach to a coach who was well-known through our club. We coached a group of eight and nine year olds and he thought that would be good place for me start learning. Well, before their first game, he jokingly told me it was good luck to give the head coach a piece of gum before the game. So I gave him the gum and the team won their game, which we both did not expect, so we continued this tradition and the team went 12-2 in the season. The two games they lost were the ones I did not go to.

The previous examples are enough proof for me to believe that superstitions exist on the ice.