I believe I am Pursued

Amanda - Jamul, California

I Believe I am Pursued.

I was eighteen and living in Boise Idaho. My family and I went out for dinner to the Olive Garden. The Friday night bustle kept us waiting in the vestibule. The awkwardness of the family and the aroma of Italian food made me anxious so I thought I would pass some time by going to the ladies room. On the way to my destination I happened to look in a specific direction at a specific moment and I noticed him. A quick glance was all I needed to be sure I wasn’t hallucinating but I found myself staring. For a moment the rest of the world disappeared.

I had seen him before. One morning our lives crossed paths in downtown Boise at a bistro on Main Street. His presence drew me like a moth to a flame. There was something magical about him that I couldn’t forget after that morning. I had never met someone like him before. I felt like something inside me was already attached to something inside him. We connected. I felt instantly accepted. He emanated light. I knew I had to do something. How could it be that I would never see him again? I couldn’t let this opportunity slip through my fingers like I did last time. I had to meet him this time.

I scurried over to my family to wait like a vulture by the door. When he walked out he was engulfed by his friendly, sociable party. I was befuddled. I felt like a puppy who had just been tricked into chasing a stick that hadn’t been thrown. I knew I had to pursue him, so I used my stealth to follow him into the parking lot. As I waited behind a tree a safe distance away, panic set in. I suddenly remembered what people do when they walk out to the parking lot after they eat in a restaurant. They leave! He was with a few people of the female persuasion so I stayed in my hiding spot and watched the scene unfold.

After some sincere goodbye hugs he began to walk back my way. Before I knew it he noticed me, standing there in the dark, and said hello. I asked if he remembered me. He did.

We met that night in January but not by chance. We slowly began sharing time together. Our journeys in life were meant to come together for a period of time but it was more than that. This was meant for a God-size purpose. This relationship revealed to me intense truths about God and myself.

I believe that everything that happens in life is meant to bring us closer to God. Our experiences often times reveal things to us. In fact it’s rare when they don’t. I’ve experienced pursuit in my life. What I pursue and what pursues me. It’s led me to wonder why. What motivates me to pursue the things I do and why? How do my experiences, especially the ones I never intended to have, relate to pursuit? God desires to be pursued, I am innately designed to desire the things that God desires: intimacy, passion, community, relationships, and love. God reveals himself to me through these things. He reveals truth in my life. I am pursued through my desires. I am grateful for God and His pursuit of us. I am grateful for the gift of life in which I experience the most wonderful pursuit of all, the pursuit of God.