No Faith I Believe

Mark - El Cajon, California

People all over the world strive to abide by their own beliefs. Some follow a certain code of ethics while others simply subject themselves to significant rules. Several individuals may be Christian but relate differently to the stories of the Bible. They cause traditions to periodically change, thus leading to no one religion, belief, faith, or set of rules. Everyone takes into account their own experiences which distinguishes the beliefs they possess.

I personally don’t believe in God. I start out by saying this because religion through government control the populace. Whether it is Christianity, every culture has some type of deism(s). Throughout time abundant groups of people have followed some type of greater being, giving each group their own signature religious organization.

My father was brought up in a simple Christian home, yet today I believe he is an agnostic. He is very aware of religion, still he has to logical a personality to accept Christ. My mother on the other hand, was raised in a third world country where Seventh-Day Adventism is culture. Her parents were beyond aggressive when studying the religion and she is today an extremely religious woman. Her personality and her beliefs derive from Adventism. Even in my earliest years, both my parents would teach me the difference between right and wrong. But only

my mother would use the excuse of religion as an explanation of her teachings. She would often be persistent with religion, often forcing my siblings and I to attend church and even sometimes pray.

Throughout my adolescent years, school was influential on my belief system. I know I was kind of problematic, but I’m quite sure the only reason I attended a private school was because of my mother’s religious intentions. The Seventh-Adventist Christian school was a relatively small one, which meant few students. To this effect students, including myself, experienced more in depth teachings. I learned more academically, but more importantly Adventism was associated with each subject. From Kindergarten through, what was considered junior high, I attended the Adventist school feeling that I believed in God. I would attend the school every Sabbath (Saturday) where members gathered on the same grounds for church

(located in the school gymnasium). Later in public high school I slowly fell from my faith. I

didn’t attend church regularly or even practice the faith anymore. No longer did I even feel

Christian or simply consider myself a believer.

After graduating high school I went directly into Marine Corps boot camp. There I

stopped attending church on Sabbath completely. Saturday was an all day grueling physical event anyways. I studied Buddhist theology instead. I didn’t adopt the religion but I appreciated the relaxing scripture. Soon after training I served with 2nd Battalion Seventh marines as an infantryman in 29 Palms, CA. In Golf Company and later with snipers I deployed 3 times to Iraq. I experienced several life determining situations where it was there I realized, even in fear I did not pray to no one.

I believe religion is basically a guideline for people. They’re comfortable feeling they have control and a meaning to their lives. Honestly, I wish I was religious (and I’ve tried) but I feel that I have to genuine an ego to almost force a belief upon myself. The bible to me is just fables with some truth if you follow archetypes. People believe what they let themselves believe and follow rules they decide to abide by. I need fact or proof to believe in something. This is

what I believe.