Strength to Continue

Kim - Western Springs, Illinois

From my guitar lessons a couple years ago, I gained two important lessons; one of those lessons being quite obvious. I learned how to play music on the guitar. Another lesson that I gained while taking guitar was to never give up, just keep trying and as the cliché states: just believe in yourself.

When things got tough and my fingers were blistered and sore, frustration grew inside of me. I wanted S O O O badly to quit guitar altogether and give up with lessons. I did not care if I ever touched a guitar again. I was s o o o frustrated with not only the song, but also with myself. I was disappointed in myself and that was the worst pain I have ever felt.

I would sit with my guitar and the sheet of music, which to me felt like h o u r s at a time. I would discourage myself from the potential success that my guitar could have sounded.

My mom saw my disappointment. I told her that I was annoyed with guitar and that I wanted to cancel my lessons. She would not let me give up, which EXTREMELY annoyed me. She would not let me quit, which in reality made me want to rebel even more. She said to keep practicing, go slower and you will get it.

Ignorantly, I did not listen to her. I let my frustration get the best of me. I put the guitar away in the case and went on with my day, forgetting a l l about guitar for a while. It was not until the day before my next lesson that I realized I still had a passion for guitar. After listening to songs, I felt inspired to play and wanted to give it another try. Also in my mind played and replayed those words of inspiration from my mom, “k e e p p r a c t i c i n g.” I went to my guitar case, unzipped it, and this time had an open-mind with inspiration and a want to learn.

I believe in the strength to move onward when life gets tough and you feel as if you want to give up. I believe in keeping an open-mind when trying something difficult and new.

I started playing it slowly, note by note. It was s o o much easier playing it stress free, with an open-mind and a positive attitude. Even better than impressing my mom, was the feeling of me impressing myself. My passion for music and guitar grew even more.

As strange as it sounds, I am now glad that my mom argued with me about quitting and would not let me take the easy way out. I have personally found that with strength to move onward in times of failure comes success.