The Value of Contentment

Sadie - Nowata, Oklahoma

From a girls perspective, I don’t get everything I want and usually end up complaining how the things I already have aren’t good enough. I’m pretty sure I’m like most teenage girls. We’ll never get every single thing that we want in life. So, if everybody can’t have everything they want, we need to learn to want what we have.

Most people probably think, “well, I’m not like that. I get everything I could possibly want,” or, “I never complain about not having something.” Sorry to say, but no matter who you are and no matter what your parents give you, I can guarantee that you complain about things more than you can realize. A lot of teenagers do get almost everything they can throw at their parents. Whether it’s a shirt, skirt, hoodie, phone, book or something like Guitar Hero. We’re constantly begging our parents for something we want, and if we get it we usually just complain about it or use it twice and it ends up on the bottom of our closet never to be seen again. Trust me, I know it’s hard to not constantly want something. It is even harder to not get mad at your parents for not getting it for you. But everyone needs to learn to stop begging and driving our parents crazy for wanting something we don’t need.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that I don’t do this. I’m regularly asking my parents if I can go somewhere or get something and get frustrated if they say no. It happens to me all the time and I hate it. But I need to learn to be thankful for what I have. I have clothes, food, a house and essentials, what else do I need. It’s so easy to write and say it, but it’s hard to put my words into action. Just think how better off our lives would be for us, and our parents, if we weren’t always demanding them to buy us things. Life would be more peaceful and I can reassure you the relationships with our parents would be much better.

If your one of those people that thinks you get everything you want, what’s going to happen when your older? When your out of the house and on your own your parents can reassure you that you have to get things for yourself. You will come to realize you can’t depend on them anymore for everything. You’ll get a job and an apartment and you’ll want something. You think, “well, I’ll just go buy it, no problem.” If you do that on a regular basis sooner or later your going to run out of money that you would need for rent and paying bills. You’ll be out of luck and have no choice but to turn to your parents for help. It’s like we need a buzzing siren in our heads that says to stop, think and say, “do I really need this or am I just being dramatic and just want this?” It’s sounds corny, but later on in life you’ll learn that everything isn’t handed to you on a gold platter. You’ll need to start working hard for things to get them.

So I’m going to give you all a challenge. Next time you start running to your parents to beg for something that you think your in dire need of but truly aren’t, stop. Our parents will appreciate it and you’ll be thankful later on in life. Our minds are like a parachute, they don’t work unless their open.