I Believe That Obstacles Happen for a Reason

Emily - Brookfield, Illinois
Themes: setbacks

I believe that obstacles happen for a reason and challenges are meant to test one’s will power.

When I was fourteen, I fell down the stairs and hurt my back. I was running in stocking feet, something that I rarely do, since I hate socks, and took a tumble. I flew down all twelve stairs and landed at the bottom with a thud.

That was the beginning of my long back obstacle. In less than a two year time span, I went to nine different doctors for too many appointments to count. After 7 x-rays, 3 MRIs, a cat scan, a bone scan, a bone density test, two trips to the Emergency Room, tons of blood work, and acupuncture, I was told I had two hair line fractures at my L2 and T7. Later I was diagnosis with Sacroilitious, which is inflammation where my hips and back bone meet. I have been on dozens of medications and on an anti-inflammatory for almost two years.

My back injury caused me to be in pain 24/7, and have back spasms. The only way I can describe spasms would be having your muscles bunch together and then rip each other apart. Those little suckers were the most painful things in the world, next to stapling your fingers.

These past years have been the hardest times of my life. For months I pretended that everything was okay and ignored the pain. I thought if I put on a tough face it would all go away. But deep down I knew the pain was not going anywhere, and I began to lose hope. I solemnly laughed or smiled. I was unbelievably unhappy. My back became the enemy. It was taking away everything I lived for. I was no longer the fun, easy-going Emily Furjanic I had always been. I was a whole new person.

I finally hit rock bottom one day when I looked in mirror and could not even recognize myself. I was a total stranger. I knew at that moment I had a choice to make. I could keep living a painful, despondent life that was not even mine or I could fight back.

I chose to fight, and it was no cake walk. My emotions were numb to everything but pain. I had a challenging journey ahead of me, but once I came to terms with my injury and started fighting back, the real Emily Furjanic resurfaced.

I learned so much about myself during my recovery. I was able to accept all of the good and bad characteristics that make me who I am. By being exposed to this challenge, I got to become the person I have always wanted to be, and overcome an obstacle that I thought was impossible

I believe I was specifically meant to hurt my back for a reason. I think I needed to test myself to the breaking point to find out what I wanted from this life. I am positive I would not be the same person I am today if I made it down those stairs safely that one night, and I thank God for it.