Sarah - La Grange, Illinois
Themes: birth

I was about four years old on June 6th, 1996 when I knew my life would never be the same again. My little brother James was born. While it was an exciting and big day, there was just one thing that was keeping this moment from being perfect. This day had come six weeks to early. My older brother and I were still young and did not completely understand exactly what was wrong, but what we did know was that our younger brother was not as healthy as he should be.

What finally caught my attention, that helped me realize the severity of his condition, were the oxygen tubes that were hooked up to my little brother’s nose. They reminded me of an old person and seeing them on my new born brother helped me apprehend that he really was sick. Because he was born earlier than predicted, his lungs had not yet been fully developed.

Going back and seeing my parents empty handed in the delivery room was puzzling. They pleaded and begged the doctors and nurses to allow them to hold him, but they would not budge. He was being kept in a small, clear box that had two holes for arms, with multiple cords and strings attached to him. I was not sure at the time what all those wires were for, but what I did know was that all the other new babies did not have all these attachments on them.

While all this was happening, many of my relatives came to the hospital to show support for my little brother; and to help baby-sit my older brother and me while my parents watched over James. Without the help of everyone, I can guarantee that my little brother would have needed much more time to recover than he did. After ten long days of waiting and worrying, my parents finally got what they had begged for and were able to take James home.

After this experience, I was able to find something out about myself that I never knew I had in me. I believe in support and with out it, I as well as many other people would not be where they are today, including my younger brother James.