The Power of Music

Sarah - Indian Head Park, Illinois
Themes: death, family

The Power of Music

It was May 29, 2002. My parents were in Michigan, helping and comforting my dad’s grandmother, while my gramps had just had an unexpected heart attack. We were all praying and hoping he would make it.

I walked in the door to my mom’s grandparent’s house. I had just finished yet another normal 4th grade day. My grama was washing dishes as I sat down for a snack. I distinctively remember my grama starting to cry and say, “Gramps didn’t make it through the day.” I looked up but couldn’t think of anything to say.

My grandfather was gone. His death was so sudden. It was like getting punched really hard in the stomach. A punch I had no idea was coming. He had up and left, leaving us with only memories of his time here on earth.

It was time to plan the memorial service. My parents thought it would add a very special touch if my brothers and I played Amazing Grace in the service. I knew it would be very hard to get through the piece, but it was our way of saying goodbye to a wonderful grandfather.

About halfway through the service, after the many speakers had talked how my grandfather had touched their lives, it was time to play. One of my brothers had tears streaming down his face, the most I have ever seen him cry. As the sweet melody of Amazing Grace swept across the sanctuary, I’m sure there was not a dry eye in the house.

I believe in the power of music. Music is the one thing that brings us together. It gives people a chance to express their feelings; feelings that are tearing them up on the inside. Music has the power to make someone cry or get giddy with happiness. Music can make you want to dance and shout at the top of your lungs.

By playing Amazing Grace at my grandfather’s memorial service, I knew that everything was going to be alright. I suddenly realized that I should be ecstatic to know that my grandfather had lived an amazing life. Gramps was probably up in heaven at that moment listening to my brothers and I play our song for him. As we finished the song, it was ok to let go to all the pain I had kept inside. The hole that had been there since I had heard that Gramps had passed away, suddenly mended itself. The words of Amazing Grace could not say it any better; I once was lost, but now am found, was blind but now I see.