The Power of Choice

Willa - Brookfield, Illinois

I flew out to Colorado over the summer to visit my aunts at the bakery they own. My Aunt Kirsten, and her life partner, my Aunt Kathy welcomed me into their home and gave me a job doing odds and ends in the bakery. One day while I was staying with them, my Aunt Kirsten and I went hay bailing on another couples farm. I was having a conversation with one of the hands there as we took a lunch break. It was just a casual conversation and I started a sentence with the words, “My Aunt Kathy…” He interrupted me explaining that Kathy was not my aunt by blood or marriage because gay marriage is not publically accepted. He also questioned why I called Kathy my aunt. HI told him that she was my aunt because when my dad’s sister, Kirsten, chose that she and Kathy were going to stay together for the rest of their lives, it was their own type of marriage. He then began to question my support for their choice to be lesbians saying it was unnatural. When he began to question my belief in my aunts I got very passionate about the topic because I love my aunts for who they are. I told him that I believed that the most powerful thing a human being, any human being could possess, was the power to choose but there are some things that just cannot be chosen. Who you like is not a choice that someone can make. If you like what some people consider socially unacceptable then so be it. Those people who find it so can go off in their sheltered lives and live them the way they want to. Just because someone’s preference is different than yours does not make you a freak. If someone chooses to share what they feel or want, you have 2 very basic choices. You can take the high road and choose to accept who they are and support them in it. Or, you can take the low road and make fun of them for it. It may make you feel better to poke at people for what they are. However when someone finds something different about you and pokes at you for it, remember, good or bad, what you give comes back to you three fold.