America’s Political Will

Brian - Edmond, Oklahoma

There is a lot of talk regarding Barack Obama’s credentials for becoming President of the United States. Moreover, people and pundits feel that he is heavy on the rhetoric and does not have the governmental relationships or experience that will be necessary for the President of the United States to have. These are all valid concerns and deserve to have attention brought to them. But when you look at failed states and the governments who ran those states there seems to be a common flaw that is preventing the government from operating.

I was watching a program over the political environment in Pakistan the other day and a well known Pakistani historian was speaking of reestablishing political will in Pakistan, and it got me thinking. Political will or national will, whatever you want to call it, is probably the most important aspect of any government. Political will resides in the people and in any true democracy the government is a government of the people. Citizens of any country have to believe that what they are doing is going to matter and that they alone can make their country great. There is no person in this world who wants to see their country fail, but they have to believe that their country is the greatest and that their sole contribution will make a difference.

After making that realization I began to rebut the pundits attacks on Barack Obama. Out of any candidate that has the probability of becoming the President of the United States Barack Obama is the only one who has the natural ability to rally a nation to greatness. There have been charges that he espousing some kind of cult of personality, but that’s not the case and it’s a debasing charge to the people that support him. Like I said above, people want to feel that what they are doing is going to make a difference. They want to believe in their country again.

The great people of these United States need a president who’s willing to talk to them and let them know how they can help. We are a great nation full of wonderful things. For far too long have the people of this country only been told that we are the greatest nation only to turn around and see their contributions shipped somewhere else. For far too long our political will to drive this country in a positive direction has been squandered by the age old concept that the dumber people become, the easier they are to control. Currently, our president has said that he does not listen to public opinion polls, which can gage the will of the people, he only does what he feels is in this country’s best interest. This dehumanizing aspect of our country’s current state of affairs cannot be redressed by politicians experience when, in fact, it has been their complacency that led to this dehumanization.

As I continued my thought regarding political will was stuck by an interview I heard on NPR. They were interviewing a political historian from Rice University concerning great political speakers. During this session the gentleman being interviewed made an interesting comment. He said something along the lines that in the United States there has never been a bad president who was able to deliver an impassioned message to the people. I fully agree. I believe that anyone who has the ability to appeal to ones soul has a gift. I also believe that in this country alone the ability for a president to appeal to the soul of their fellow citizens has never been and never will be put to bad use despite there level of experience (I mean Lincoln and JFK did not have necessarily long political careers).

This nation’s political will is what has made it the greatest nation since the end of June in 1776 when a group of Americans banded together to declare that it was time to depart from the old ways and decided to move into the new on July 4, 1776. This country has always had the political will to achieve greatness, but we don’t need to be told that we are great by our presidents. I feel it is their duty to make us believe it. We can redress our problems, but we have to believe we can. The only fact behind the predicament that this country is in right now is that there is only one person who can resurrect this nation’s political will.

This I believe.