Precipitate Happiness

Chris - 06010, Connecticut

I believe in the statement, treat others the way you want to be treated, because it is an important idea which precipitates progress towards creating a comfortable, happy, and fulfilling life for all. Although we all struggle and find hardship in life, by constantly preserving this idea we can all make the world a happier and easier place to live. As acknowledged by the Dalai Lama, “So, engaging in training or a method of bringing about inner discipline within one’s mind is the essence of a religious life…, whether one leads a spiritual life depends on whether one has been successful in bringing about that disciplined, tamed state of mind and translating that state of mind into one’s daily actions.”(135) It is essential to disclipline the mind to ulitilize the idea in one’s everyday actions.

As a 22 year old, living with my family of seven, I try to remember that my actions affect the individuals around me in positive and negative ways. I am the eldest of five siblings, who continually strives to set the right example for my family. Within this large family, it can be difficult to deal with everyone’s differing personalities and actions. I find that my own actions can dramatically affect any given situation. I can facilitate a happy environment or make matters worse. As I can struggle with my own mood and daily occurences, through remebering this simple idea, it helps bring about the best in me for my family. Since all of us encounter different problems every day, a firm base of reason and control seems to be vital in the well being of a family. The idea of treating others the way I would like to be treated is one I learned in my ten years of Catholic school. Although I am not a practicing Catholic, I have found much guidance in this idea. My family experiences leads me to belief that this idea can work on a greater, societal scale. I realize, if everyone pursued this idea, we could all live in a happier state. Through reading excerpts from The Art of Happiness, by the Dalai Lama, I have learned that each of us should pursue the ideas that create happiness by developing our mind. He states, “ I believe that it is essential to appreciate our potential as human beings and recongnize the importance of inner transformation. This should be achieved through what could be called a process of mental development.”(132) We must recongize our ability as humans to grasp and control our actions through this mental development. Keeping the idea, treat others the way you want to be treated, at the top of our minds, allows us to carry out our actions with the well-being of others at the forefront.

The very power to enhance the world we live in is within each and every one of our minds. It is a terrible waste if we don’t at least attempt to pursue such a powerful notion. Like many situations in life, we all feel that our own contributions aren’t enough to make a difference. This kind of thinking is detrimental to the goal of creating a happier world. The process actually facilitates itself. Think of it this way, you practice every day to take the right actions, and in doing so you obtain a source of inner happiness. In other words, it is self gratifying. The idea of treating others the way you would like to be treated is a basic notion that allows us to circulate and reinforce others to do the same. With this in mind, go out and try it. Stay disciplined and watch the world around you blossom with happiness.