Life Is Fair

Scott - Neenah, Wisconsin

Scott S

Mod 2

Life Is Fair

Everyone talks about how life isn’t fair, how other people get all the breaks, everyone gets it so easy. That isn’t true. It’s because those people work hard and give their all, to get want they want. How hard you work is what you get out of life.

I am on a swim team and every year I want to get better and work harder in practices than the year before. I set goals for myself every year so I keep focused and have motivation for each practice. Always in the middle of the year I just lose focus and can’t keep my motivation. Swim Practices just get so repetitive,long, and boring. I just get tired and start skipping out on some of the practice. Towards the end of the year when my times aren’t right next to my goals the I set for myself I am disappointed. I say life isn’t fair and I question myself why I didn’t get to my goals. Once I think about it after the year is done I could have worked harder when I lost my focus. I realized this once I felt how fast my high school years are going by and how short the season is. I know now that I need to try my best now when I have the chance, instead of letting it all go by. People get many chances in their life to try and become what the want. I had the whole summer to work on swimming and get in shape and work on my stroke. I didn’t take advantage of that and I totally regret that now. Instead I slept in every morning until 10 and played baseball in the evening when I had the whole morning and afternoon to swim. Once I realized this, I discovered that life maybe was fair. People just don’t see it coming and need to push themselves when the going gets tough.

Another part of my life that helped me realize how life is fair are grades. Everyone likes to have decent grades but also many people fail trying to do so, or maybe not trying to do so, so much. A lot of my friends including me complain about not having good grades or an average GPA. We also just hate when are parents yell at us for not having the grades that they want for us. When our parents yell, it makes all us teenagers question the fairness of life. But if we would have just turned in all of our assignments, and studied enough for all the tests and quizzes we would have done fine, and been good enough for our parents. The last trimester during my sophomore year, I thought would be easy just like all the other trimesters. I would breeze through them and not have do my homework. or I could just finish it in other classes. Well after six weeks I had 2 F’s. I had to get them up by working hard, life was not fair and I never have had to do that before in all my schooling. I worked harder than I ever have before and I moved those grades up to 2 C’s. I now have studied for every test since, and I am doing much better in school. I also have a better view on life. If you work for what you want you will succeed.

You control your own destiny, so if you don’t like something, do something about it. I have learned many things and I know now that life is fair to everyone. Its just how you want it to be, everyone gets many chances to take life and do what you love with it. Next time, I hear someone say life isn’t fair, I’ll have a talk with them and tell them my belief on life.