The Power of Music

Samuel - Western Springs, Illinois

The Power of Music

I walked into a cold room full of total strangers, the only person I had ever seen before was my best friend standing right next to me. This was the first day of a seven day summer camp devoted to singing that my mom thought would be a good thing for me to occupy myself with over the break. I did not know how to feel. The singing aspect was something that I certainly looked forward to, but doing it with all of these strangers was a feature that terrified me.

The days went by and it was not long until it was time for the ending performance. By the time the last note of “Bridge over Troubled Water” rang out, I realized that all of these “strangers” were people who were near and dear to me. We exchanged phone numbers and all hoped that we would see each other in high school.

The first day of high school I walked into chorus class, initially thought there were many strangers, but as I scanned the crowd I realized that many of the people that were in the summer camp three years ago were mingled in. It was not long that the same phenomenon that happened three years ago happened again. The chorus took on many family-like qualities.

It is for these reasons that I believe in the power of music, specifically the power it has to unite total strangers in such a strong bond. Music causes every single member of the group, be it band, chorus, or dance, to be strong in their part while connecting and mingling with all the others. This bonding is essential to making a successful and high-quality performance. The ability to show and express emotion through the music is another aspect that allows a group to create a good composition. Suddenly every member of the group becomes vulnerable. This vulnerability allows for bonding and further connection. I truly believe that music is powerful enough to take two extremely different people and make them closer in at least one aspect of their lives. So next time, instead of awkwardly shying away from a stranger, dance with them, and you will have a much better experience.