Did you really fail?

Amanda - Walnut Creek, California

Amanda M

Period 1

Did you really fail?

Do you give one hundred percent every time? I believe that if you always do your best you will never fail. And I don’t mean fail, like losing a soccer game or a match of chess or even getting an F in your history class. I mean failing yourself, letting yourself down, or feeling regret. I believe that if you always give it your all, than you will never fail yourself.

I once studied really hard for a math test, learning all the contents in Chapter 6 of my geometry text book. I studied hard, because I really wanted a good grade in the class, which all depended on my test score. I studied all week, the night before the test, and during the lunch break on the day of the test. When it was finally time to take my test during 7th period, I was full of confidence. I grabbed the test, sat down in my assigned seat, focused hard, and gave it my all. I went home filled with pride, I knew I aced it, I had to, I could smell my success.

When 7th period came around the next day I couldn’t wait for my test to be handed back. However, when I saw the huge red grade mark on the top of my test, I could feel my heart drop into the pit of my stomach. I felt utterly and completely shocked. How could I have done so badly? How could I have gotten a D-? Was I studying the wrong chapter?

The bell rang, and I left the room feeling miserable. I also did while walking home. But as the day grew on, I didn’t feel miserable any longer. In, fact, I couldn’t help from smiling, because what else could I have done? I gave it my all, I studied hard, I tried my absolute best! I soon felt great, because I didn’t fail! Well, I did fail the test, but I didn’t fail myself, I didn’t let myself down.

I believe if you try your hardest, you will most-likely succeed. You will probably win that next game of soccer or that match of chess. Or you may lose and fail like I did, but I guarantee you won’t fail yourself. You will feel good no matter what if you know you tried your best.

I believe the only way you can absolutely fail, is failing yourself.