Put A Smile On

Krista - Neenah, Wisconsin

Put A Smile On

“Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing.” (Mother Teresa). A simple smile can mean the world. It shows such a feeling and an emotion that can’t be put into words. Out of all of the different languages in the world, there’s only one that everyone knows – a smile. It can be a greeting, or an act of kindness. But a simple gesture, such as a smile, can make the world go around.

A girl woke up in the morning predicting a bad day. In the refrigerator the milk carton will be empty, the bus will come early, the bell will ring one minute to soon, the family dog, Sparky, would have eaten her science project, and her shoelaces will come untied. Therefore, she will trip and fall into the muddy puddle she walks past every morning in the middle of the sidewalk. There is no solution for these days, the future has been set. Sparky already ate the bowl of purple muck on the counter, and the milk carton has just been emptied to the last drop. The world seems as if it might come to an end. But a boy has just walked past the puddle. He sees the water dripping off the books that are now lying in the grass after she has fallen. The feeling of tears comes rushing. She wants to run, run away from here, from everywhere. The boy who saw her fall into the puddle grabs her books in the grass, wipes them down with his sleeve, and flashes a warm smile as he hands her the books. She stares at him, apprehensive to take the books, but in that moment, a breath was released.

As she looked back throughout her day, she realized that Sparky did look kind-of funny with that purple muck around his innocent face, and the waffles that replaced the cereal did have chocolate chips on them. After all, the audacious boy didn’t need to stop and help her. Maybe, this day wasn’t so bad after all.

Everyone has been that girl with bad days, and a smile can make a world of difference. A smile explains more then an act of having a good time; it relieves stress and creates positive attitude. When someone walks into a room with a smile painted on their face and their teeth gleaming, it not only brightens the person, but everyone around them. The world would not function without a smile.