Believing in Miracles

Kathleen - Walnut Creek, California
Themes: humanism

Believing in Miracles

I believe that it is possible to change the world. I believe that every person yearns to make a difference but is often too scared to create the change they desire. I believe that no matter how hard we try, time will keep marching on, and we will have to hurry to catch up with it. I believe in miracles.

When I was a young girl, I was never told that my life had limits, or that my dreams were unrealistic. Instead I was guided and shown that if I tried hard enough, there was nothing that I could not do. Never once has it crossed my mind that I wouldn’t succeed with my dreams of changing the world, because I believe that every person changes the world in some way, whether they impact only one person, or thousands. I believe in the value of human life.

Humankind has walked on the moon; we have cured diseases that once left millions dead; we have created the United Nations, an organization dedicated to solving conflict peacefully-and we still strive for more enlightenment. There is now an international space center, where scientists of the world live and continue to research the last frontier. Each day, science comes closer to discovering a cure for cancer and AIDS. And there is no stopping the dedicated people who work to establish world peace. That is why I believe that those who say it is impossible to change the world have never actually lived in it.

I believe that the easiest way to make change is by employing the most powerful thing in this world; kindness. By smiling at the boy who is always alone, or holding open the door to a stranger, I believe that the world becomes a better place. Picking up garbage, or standing up for what you believe in brightens our dark world just a little. To change the world doesn’t always mean leading marches or organizing protests, but by going to them. The people who are aware of injustices in the world, and take a stand against them are the people who change the world. There is nothing too small or too big for humankind, we just have to want it.

I believe, with all my heart and soul, that it is possible to change the world. I believe in miracles.