This I believe, Live Life

Megan - Neenah, Wisconsin

This I believe

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Some things in life don’t end up ideally, but always try to learn from them, and eventually become a better person. There are many experiences in my life that didn’t seem to be positive as I was going through it, but they have now changed how I act and who I am.

On July 14th, 2007 at Lifest, a Christian week-long music event, a friend of mine, Liz, fell off of Air Glory, a free fall ride. Liz was taken to the hospital, but she had too much internal bleeding. She passed away that night. It was the worst feeling to go through. I wasn’t even that close with her, and I couldn’t wrap my mind around the fact that someone so young, sixteen, could be gone and how those who were very close with her could be dealing with this pain.

I’m still dumbfounded because of how earlier that day, the most I was worried about was how my hair looked, and if my shorts matched my shirt or if I could find a ride home that evening. I was clueless as to what was about to happen. My dad actually gave me money to go on the ride, and that really frightens me. Over dinner, the night before Liz went on Air Glory, I was teasing with her, joking around, and playing Catch Phrase. That morning we were playing with squirt guns, and everything was fine. Then she fell. Everything went from being great to hitting rock bottom in a matter of minutes.

Liz passing away brought so many people together and I believe that is one of the positives. It was so much easier to go through the funeral and the mourning with a group of people who knew what I was going though. I am now so much closer to the friends that also knew Liz than I ever thought possible.

Before July 14th, If I wasn’t feeling well, I would take it out on those around me. If I was crabby, whomever I was with that day would know it. If my sister asked me to do something with her, and I didn’t feel up to it, I would tell her, “No Morgan, I don’t feel well.” While I’m still guilty of this sometimes, because nobody is perfect, I try my best to spend time with my sister, my mom, my dad, and my friends everyday.

After the fact, I felt a great amount of apathy. I didn’t want to do anything, talk about anything or feel anything; I realize that this was a great mistake. I believe that each day should be spent being happy with those you know and having fun. A lesson learned from all of this is nobody ever knows when will be their last day on earth. Make sure to tell those whom are close that you love them and live each day like it’s your last, because it just might be. I know that Liz did and that’s a thought that really comforts me. The time she did spend on earth was well spent. While it was very hard for me to move through this hard time, I discovered that I have many people around me in my life that are there for me no matter what. I had a numerous amount of people tell me that they cared about me, and this is what really helped me through it. It was nice to know that I could count on quite a few people, just to be there for me.

Whether we like it or not, bad things are bound to happen in our lives and there is nothing we can do about it except learn from it. I’m not saying I’m happy that Liz died by any means; it was one of the hardest events I’ve ever had to deal with . I’m saying that there is always a positive in a negative situation and that we shouldn’t spend our lives worrying about nugatory things, people, and events. I believe we should live each moment to the fullest and never waste time on worthless things. When live gives you lemons, make lemonade.