Sophie - Walnut Creek, California
Themes: children

Trust is one of the most vital aspects for living and for sustaining relationships. I believe that it is absolutely crucial to be trustworthy and for others to return that trust, too. Although none of us are perfect, we must strive to maintain trust because it is almost impossible to restore once broken. So why risk breaking it in the first place? Part of being a good person is being able to know that others have faith in you.

My appreciation for the importance of trust came to me at an early age. It was the fall of 2002. I was in third grade and my father had just bought me a new toy. It was one of those little electronic games that turned on with the press of a button and cried. Obsessed with my new gift, I took it in the car on the way to school. My nanny told me that I was not allowed to take my distraction with me. I was furious, but I left it in the car, slammed the door and stomped away. When the day was over, I rushed back to the car to find it sitting right where I had set it. Immediately, I picked it up. It slipped from my fingers and landed with a thud, right into my open backpack. The ON button hit the bottom of my backpack, flipped on and began to cry. My nanny’s head whipped around to find me grabbing the toy I was not supposed to bring. She thought I had taken it with me! I was doomed. I told her it was an accident and that I had dropped it in, but she just did not believe me. This woman had been my nanny for almost three years, and she still could not find it in her to trust my butter fingers and me.

My whole life I have had a huge conscience that screams at my every action. I choose to trust people because in effect, they trust me back. Having faith in others is so important because dishonesty can ruin how people view you. Trust affects the quality of relationships, happiness, and what kind of person you become. Believing in people is a slow process that builds up over time, and takes even longer to repair. I had been telling the truth that day. I just wish my nanny had believed me.