The Ultimate Gift of Giving

Megan - Countryside, Illinois

If there is anything in this world that everyone is familiar with, it’s giving. Now I’m not talking about giving somebody presents on Christmas or their birthday. I am talking about things that are important to a person or people in need. I believe in finding happiness in the gift of giving. I am sure that everyone knows the saying, “It is better to give than receive.” I believe that it is true. There are so many different things that you can give. Some are love, care, company, comfort, clothes, food, a place to stay and even your time.

My whole life growing up, I have had some experiences where I found how amazing giving can be. My grandma had a stroke a few years back, and I never knew how much it took to give. The truth was, not much at all. She was in rehab for awhile, and I saw that how just being there made a big difference. Her left side was paralyzed, so after she came home, I gave my time to help take care of her. When she started getting better, I was so happy for her and happy that I was a part of her getting better. All it took was a little giving. This past summer my grandma was walking by herself and fell, hitting her head on a chair. I arrived at the hospital with my family and was scared at the site of my grandma because she was hurt so bad. I did the only thing I knew to do and that was to give her my love and company. She was cold and shaking, so I just stood there and held her hand. I talked to her and even made her laugh. She later thanked me for being there with her and comforting her while she was scared. I knew that the simplest thing that I gave her helped her to get through, and that makes me happy.

I have always had wanted to give to others but ever since my grandma’s stroke, I have really put my whole heart into it. I now work with my church to raise money for hungry children and support for people in other countries. The thing that surprised me the most was how good it made me feel. In fact, when I am not doing something to help others, I feel like I am being lazy. I have the need to constantly give back to people, and I don’t consider it a bad thing. I love giving and I get a lot of happiness from it in return. Giving is one of the most ultimate gifts that anyone can give. I believe that everyone should experience the joy and happiness of giving to others as I have.