The Inspiration of Music

Alexandra - Western Springs, Illinois

The Inspiration of Music

I carelessly thrust open and rip through the back door to my unadorned house, slamming it shut with all the force my small hand can give. Not even caring to take my shoes off, I trudge through the kitchen, too pointlessly annoyed to grab something to eat. As I plod up the stairs, I pass my mother, who asks the daily “How was school?” I reply with a forced grim look, murmuring a simple “it was fine” and continue on my mission to get to my room, leaving her without answers.

I pass my sisters’ rooms, and then our muddled, chaotic bathroom, and I have finally reached my destination. I slide into my room, careful this time not to shut the door with all my might, as I would never hear the end of it with my mom. I let my colossal backpack drop to the floor, my coat slipping off with it, and I kick off my shoes. I take two steps across my seemingly pocket-sized room, and pull down the plain gray shades. I fidget through the front pocket of my sweatshirt to find my ipod, and jam the earphones into my ears. I then slip into my unmade bed, under the covers and away from the world. My favorite song starts to play, and I forget for a while whatever was stubbornly lingering in my mind in the first place.

My problems disintegrate and flee from my mind, and I let the song dictate my thoughts and imagination. I am taken to a place where the truth can be twisted and stretched, and I am in charge. There is no set of rules that need to be followed, and there are no boundaries. I let my mind wander through the oceans and sceneries and people that the song withholds. I know in the back of my mind that none of it is real, but for those five minutes, reality is nonexistent.

I believe that music inspires. It inspires you to rock out and scream in the car with your friends until your voice is gone. It inspires you to sit on your floor, let the tears flow, and feel sorry for yourself. It inspires you to bravely venture out onto the dance floor and have the time of your life. It even inspires you to not respond to your parents’ incessive nagging, due to the tunes blasting in your ear, irritating them along the way.

Without music in our world, I think it would all be fine. But, just fine, nothing more. I think most of the creativity and love in the world has much to do with music, and without it, our world would be different. Even the small amount of peace it brings to a sixteen-year-old girl makes a difference.