The Power of Music

Patrice - Syracuse, New York

I believe in the power of music. Just a few simple notes can change a person’s life. The beautiful sounds can calm you, excite you, or just provide an escape. The power of music is in the fact that millions of people are listening to the same song; each view of it different. When listening to a song, I may notice the depth of the lyrics while another person may hear the intricate patterns of beat and rhythm. The depth of music is very extensive and includes its effects on people’s emotions. A single song can give you the strength to continue your day or even cause you to contemplate your life and the world. I, personally, believe that the lyrics of a song can change our world. In a time when most people value technology and having fun, it is hard to spread serious messages. Through music, we can spread ideas against violence and poverty. Love, peace, and the beauty of life can be shared. It seems idealistic to think that just a song can change the world, but it is what I believe. A song can reach into the deepest part of a person’s soul, connecting with them in a variety of ways. The lyrics can touch them while the tune can brighten their day. When I identify with a song, I feel complete happiness. I have the strength to do anything and am completely at ease with my life. As crazy as it sounds, music saves people. There have been so many stories of people who felt lost in life and were contemplating taking their own lives until they heard a certain song. These people identified and connected with the music, finding that they could survive and move past their moment of weakness. Some even discovered what path they would take in life. The influence of music in these people’s lives is incredibly inspiring. Music is the key to our world. It has the power to change people and the way they live. This I believe.