In Faith Lies Strength

Jasmine - Chicago, Illinois

I believe that in faith lies strength.

My family is one that is built on a very strong and loving bond that could never be broken. No matter what anyone of us may go through, there will always be someone there to be a reminder to keep faith that something bigger and better will come from any trial, my grandmother especially. Besides my mother, my nana is the one person whom I share the strongest of bonds.

I was six years old when my mother, younger sister, and I moved to Chicago from California. This was when I first met my grandmother and even at such a young age I knew that she was put in my life for a reason. It’s been eleven years and I’ve come up with so many different reasons but the one reason that is closest to my heart is the one that took me the longest to conclude.

Six years ago my grandmother was diagnosed with Leukemia. Around the same time her mother was diagnosed with the same type of Leukemia. At one point the two were so sick that they were put in the same hospital at the same time. They would get constant visits from people in our family; I was one of the exceptions because of my young age. This was one of the hardest things that I’ve ever had to deal with because I wasn’t allowed to see my nana and I couldn’t understand how she could get so ill in such a short period of time.

My grandmother and great-grandmother were in the hospital for quite some time and it began to break my heart. I needed to talk to my grandmother but it was virtually impossible. My mother kept telling me to pray and hope for the best. Every night I prayed for my grandmother’s return home and soon after, that time finally came. I thought that for the first time since she was diagnosed, everything would fall in my favor. Yes, my nana was finally back, but it was only her that made it home.

My great-grandmother’s death became the center of my nana’s world and her unhappiness became the center of mine. There wasn’t much that I could do to make her feel better, but I did try. I continued to pray for her and the rest of my family. This gave me faith that it wouldn’t be long before everyone would find the strength to stop mourning and realize my great-grandmother’s suffering was finally over.

My nana still goes in and out of the hospital. She is such a strong person and she never looks at it as suffering, instead, it’s just another obstacle that she has to make it over before she can claim her prize. She always quotes one very important verse from the bible that constantly reminds me that I can always find strength and happiness through having faith.

I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me. Philippians 4:13