Miracles Really Can Happen

Veronica - Brookfield, Illinois
Themes: illness

Veronica Moul

Gillespie p.4/6

IPC Accel

18 February 2008

Miracles Really Can Happen

On March 6, 1998, I was informed that my mother was diagnosed with cancer and that in a few weeks she was going to be admitted into West Suburban Hospital to undergo surgery and treatment. At the time I was only six years old and living an average child’s life.

Throughout the next few weeks I was being informed about what was going on and what was going to happen. On March 27,1998 my mom was admitted into West Suburban Hospital to undergo surgery. That day I was not able to feel happiness nor joy, only worried and a major sense of loneliness. It was not until she left for the hospital that I realized that I would not see my mom for the next week while she was undergoing treatment and surgery. After a week of her being in the hospital she was released and sent home. After a day of being at home she was immediately rushed to Loyola Hospital due to a Mercer Staff Infection (which at the time many people were dying from). By this time I felt a strong sense of fear rushing through my body knowing that all I could do was pray and hope that everything will be ok. While she was in the hospital being treated I was infected with the chicken pox and was not able to visit or check up on her because I was contagious and my parents thought it was best for me to stay home and rest. After eight days more days of treatment she was cured (for the time being), treated, and released. For the next few months she had a nurse aid her at home and went for numerous checkups and doctors appointments to make sure that everything was going ok. During her recovery period I took many days off of school to catch up with her and witness the miracle that was taking place right in front of my eyes.

I believe that miracles really can happen. After seeing a deadly disease like cancer take over a thought to be perfectly healthy women like my very own mother and watch her battle and over come it I can say that I am a firm believer in miracles. I believe that miracles are happening every minute of the day as people are living through and battling cancer and other life threatening experiences.

Since this experience, I have watched this miracle develop more and more everyday as my mother goes on living her everyday life. However, there are a few minor obstacles that occasionally stand in her way there are always different paths that she can take to get around them. I believe that my mother is a true living miracle.