Through the shoes of Another

Bianca - Chicago, Illinois

I have noticed that people make assumptions about the nature of other people. These assumptions are the foundations in which we live and it creates the boundaries of our society. What do we base these assumptions on one might ask: on what we experience of course. I believe that we can be a better people if we take a trip in our opposites’ shoes.

Realistically our society today has issues with coming together because we cannot relate to one another. How can we move on as a people if we cannot come together?

We become biased and judgmental when we find a flaw in someone. We even search for reasons why we can set ourselves apart from other people. If we can just see how similar we are to one another maybe we can stop the prejudice actions we make. Humans are impressionable beings and in order to move forward we must embrace our differences and become influenced by each other. I believe that we learn through different experiences and different points of view. Lets try to understand unique perspectives of life, ones that are unlike our own.

If I were not exposed to people who did not walk, talk and live as I do, I do not think I would be the person I am today. As a child I had the conscious feeling that I had to pity those who were less fortunate than I was without a real reason. It was drilled into my head that because they were worse off I had but choice but to feel bad. Although it is common for many of us to show some sort of empathy toward those less privileged, most of the time our feelings are untrue. It is almost impossible to relate to a child living in poverty if you have been supported by your parents all of your life. Sure anyone can express a sense of distress at the sight of a malnourished child but it does not compare to living in that situation. I figure if we have experienced what it is like to be and live in the life of someone we find dissimilar we would learn to accept and help each other. I want others to know that change can be made for the better through learning from one another.

Our world is but a step away from a physical breakdown. Countries are engaging in continuous wars, people are consuming faster than the world can produce, and the value of a human life has hit an all time low. We are making countless decisions without realizing the consequences. Abhorrence can be avoided and equality can be promoted if we just take the time to look through the eyes of another to see the world and he or she may see it. We can change who we are and who we become through a common understanding; at least this is what I believe.