To Live Is To Learn From Our Mistakes

Christie - Walnut Creek, California

Picture this: I was about five years old and I just had the training wheels taken off my bright pink Magna bike. I hopped on, strapped the matching pink helmet to my head, and started pedaling down the long, narrow driveway. I decided to turn around, so I abruptly made a sharp turn and a loud ERRRR! noise filled the air as my tires skid on the pavement, I fell off the bike and tumbled to the ground. I hit my head, got scraped up and to this day I still have a scar on my right hand. If I hadn’t had this incident happen to me, I probably wouldn’t be able to ride a bike. Instead of being too scared to try riding again after I fell, I got up and kept trying. This is a perfect example showing how to take a bad event and to learn from the mistakes. Mistakes in life are only little teachers, helping you to learn what to do the next time.

I believe the key to life is learning from your mistakes. “When you make a mistake, don’t look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.”- Hugh White. This quote by Hugh White says it all, everyone makes mistakes, and the key is to learn from them, not dwell on them. If everyone could learn from their mistakes they would be happier, wiser, and more intelligent.

Take me, for example, I’m an athlete, I have been for almost ten years. In every sport I played, whether it was baseball, soccer, basketball, or volleyball, I made a mistake in every one. Thanks to these mistakes I have gotten much better at all of these sports because I learned from them. I still make mistakes and I am still learning every day. What about foods class? Almost every time we make something in that classroom, a student reads the recipe wrong and ruins the dish. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has accidentally put in two tablespoons instead of ½ a teaspoon into the not-so-delicious snickerdoodle cookies.

It doesn’t matter whether you are a kid, a teen, or an adult, every body makes mistakes, but it’s your decision to either gain knowledge from them or to look back on them every waking minute and wish they didn’t happen. Athletes, students, cooks, teachers, bosses, parents- everyone makes blunders. Will you learn not to dwell on the bad and embarrassing, but to embrace the chance to learn from your mistakes? I believe everyone should have fall-off-your-bike, score-for-the-other-team, and mess-up-the-cookies moments. If we don’t, we won’t learn and will just keep making the same mistakes over and over again.