The Power Of Faith

Claire - Chicago, Illinois

I believe in the power of faith, as it is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. In my life faith has served as a refuge in times of strife, and as an all around resource of inspiration and hope. Without faith I could not live a satisfied life or define myself.

I grew up in a Christian household and was therefore introduced to the religion at a very young age. Living a Christian lifestyle amongst Christians is not the same thing as believing in your heart that you have an almighty savior that loves you, and will understand you. At five years old I started feeling the presence of God in my life, and that God cared for me. I was quick to realize that I really was a born sinner, like all everybody else. Every time I told a lie about something, or did something my parents forbade me to do such as eat a cookie after bed-time, I had a rotten feeling of guilt and fear deep down inside of me. As a toddler it scared me, and having learned from hearing it over and over again, that God was my savior I began writing Him prayers before going to bed. This prayer book started out being mostly about the “bad” feelings of guilt I would get from lying, stealing, etc. I would tell God that I was sorry, and I would ask him to make the bad feelings go away. With time I found that writing in my prayer book made the weight of guilt lift, and the bad feelings go away. My faith in God grew, but it didn’t stop there. I felt the urge to go beyond merely confessing in my Prayer Book. I started confessing to the people that I had done something wrong to and started talking about the power of faith in my life which made me feel clean, and gave me a pure heart after every confession.

Now that I am older the power of my faith still rings true and expresses itself in various ways. Faith leads to prayer which provides me with solid guidance for when I have tough decisions to make, or when I am grieving. It gives me the strength to move on, and on occasion I have seen the power of faith save lives, as it did once for my dad who was bitten and woken up by an ant in his sleeping bag, to find himself completely surrounded by a campfire that had never been properly put out. I take refuge in my faith from morning to night and marvel at its potency in my life, and the life of my loved ones.