The Relaxation that is Music

Robert - La Grange, Illinois

Many people listen to music. This is not a generalization, but a fact. Everywhere I go, I see the iconic, white earphones that are from the There is something about music whether it is rap, techno or country that relaxes me more than anything else.. Many of these people are listening to music to pass the time, or to relax after a stressful day at work or school. I fall into the latter category.

Music plays a huge role in my life. I believe that without music, I would have gone insane a long time ago .I am always singing in my head. Sometimes I sing out loud but don’t realize it and I am usually chastised by my teacher or classmate when this happens. The reason for this is that it relaxes me during the stressful time that is known as school. After a long day of learning, nothing will help me chill out than listening to Pharrell Williams’ futuristic beats, the pictures Lupe Fiasco paints with words, or the slowed down, spell binding instruments mixed by Moby. I feel as if I am flying on a magic carpet that changes direction every three minutes and thirty seconds.

People often ask what kind of music I like. I immediately respond with a quick, “All.” All music from classical to rap to country is beautiful it its own way. There are of course types of music I don’t care for as much, but I never say I hate a certain style. I do have a favorite which is hip-hop. I believe that hip-hop gets a lot of negative attention and it disappoints me. There are of course the rappers that use hip-hop as a way to get rich, but there are also the rappers that use to tell stories of how life is in an inner city project and not glorify killing and gang banging. I believe that this is where hip-hop truly shines and this is what I believe is what more rappers need to be like.