I know my beliefs. Do you?

Bethany - Walnut Creek, California

How many beliefs do you have? I have an outrageous amount. I believe that beliefs are important in life, because they give you boundaries and an outline of life. Some of my many beliefs are: Never regret anything, be yourself no matter what, and never give in to pressure. The one I live by the most is definitely, be yourself no matter what.

People judge me as a weirdo or as a total lunatic, but the truth is I’m just being me. You see while everyone else is doing their hair like the movie stars, I’m letting my hair down and loving the curls God gave me. When all the girls are starving themselves to be thinner than the anorexic models they see on T.V., I’m ignoring the rude comments they’re shouting out at me. I know I’m fat and unhealthy but I’m the one that decided to eat that second pop-tart. I love myself and I don’t regret getting this big.

I can’t even begin to regret getting this big because when I ate the second pop-tart in the pack, it was exactly what I wanted. Regret is just wasting your time feeling bad for letting yourself have exactly what you wanted. And feeling bad for that is just… well… plain old stupid. Every mistake you make is an opportunity to learn more and better your- self; an opportunity to widen you outlook and perspective on life. You make a mistake everyday of your life and will continue to for the rest of your life, but with each of those mistakes you can learn and stop yourself from making it again. Now, I understand that some of your mistakes are from pressure, but it’ll teach you to be stronger against it.

I have made so many mistakes through pressure, but they all taught me one thing: never give in to pressure. I believe pressure is just other people’s way of getting you to do something so that they can see what could happen to them if they did it. Pressure is something you think is little and week until you fall victim to it and you realize it’s a wolf in cubs clothing and a powerful one at that. The weird thing about it is that those who do it are victims themselves. It hurts when you finally see that you have just fallen and kissed the feet of the world’s biggest problem. I’ve fallen but I always get back up and dust myself off. Over the few years of my life I have come to see that when people are popular it’s not because everyone likes them for who they really are, it’s because they like who pressure has made them. The difference between me and the “popular” people is that I’m me and I will never sell out.

Now…I believe what I believe what I believe and you can believe what you want. Just always remember that the beliefs you have are the guideline of your life; so what are your beliefs?