Self Expression

Lydia - LaGrange, Illinois

I believe in self expression, no matter what the way, or what the consequences may be.

When I was 12 years old, I had just come back from a trip to Europe with an organization called ‘People to People,’ (a group uniting nations of young people, as they like to say). After coming back from several different countries, and soaking up all the new experiences, I found myself in need of a change. Through a period of time I started listening to new music, choosing new mediums of art, like drawing and writing things that left my parents concerned to say the least. I then took my self expression further, by dying my hair different colors, piercing myself in several places, and experimenting with the types of clothing I wore. Needless to say after awhile my father wasn’t happy. One night he came to pick me up because it was his visitation weekend, and we got into a fight. He gave me the choice of going with him, “wiping the crap off my face” (meaning heavy eyeliner), and changing my clothes so I looked normal; or being grounded and remaining a “freak”, as he liked to say. I chose to be myself, and if it meant to my father, I was only a freak, then that was fine.

That night was over two years ago, and besides the occasional family funeral, I don’t see or talk to him at all. The question from most of the people I know is, do I regret it. I could’ve just shut my mouth, and changed into something “normal.” And my answer is, not at all. I regret that my father was so closed minded, but not for one second to I regret being myself, and not backing down. Someone is always going to be there to put you down, for what you do or who you are.

I think it’s important for everyone to find themselves in life, and self expression is one of the most important things to do while finding yourself. Whether it be through the close you wear, music you listen to, or things you write. As long as you express yourself, in some way shape or form, you’ve always got something to call your own.