Dalai Llama’s Paradox of Age

Pierre - Fort Washington, Pennsylvania

We have bigger houses but smaller families;

more conveniences, but less time.

We have more degrees but less sense;

more knowledge but less judgment;

more experts, but more problems;

more medicines but less healthiness.

We’ve been all the way to the moon and back,

but have trouble in crossing the street to meet our new neighbor.

We built more computers to hold more copies than ever,

But have less real communication;

We have become long on quantity,

but short on quality.

These are times of fast foods but slow digestion;

Tall mean but short characters;

Steep profits but shallow relationships.

It’s a time when there is much in the window

But nothing in the room.

– His Holiness the XIVth Dalai Lama

In our world, we invent new technology, cure more diseases, and improve the outside look of everyone. But as we improve our daily life, we cause more problems, in technology, health, or look. At times we waste our new found information, take many things for granted, or base people’s ability to succeed based on their looks. I consider that every human being has weaknesses and strengths. Dalai Lama’s passage about the paradox of our age, sadly, holds to be true. I feel that we should be able to overcome and show that we do have confidence in the inner spirit of someone instead of their looks, be able to meet new people, think of our health, and think more about what is made instead of how much. Money has become a great success and a great spoil of the world. It is appeared that money means everything, in appearing so, it destroys the youth’s mind and focus and proves to be poison. Quality of relationships, life, and what makes you happy should be everything but in our present world that is put aside. Money is a poison because one must die in order to receive it’s happiness. People, in order to gain money, must disregard relationships, neglect loved ones, and put their life into work and not into the real success. The real success in everyone needs to be, to have relationships and be happy. In order to be happy, we must find peace in each other and congratulate someone when they find peace, show that we care. Our world is also based on stereotypes, the outside look of someone instead of the inner spirit. Constantly people are put down for the color of their skin, or what religion they believe in. Even in America, land of the free and equality, people are given better opportunities because of the color of their race. Americans are given freedom of religion, which depressingly enough, but are made fun of or singled out by groups of people. America was made as a haven for people who were facing discrimination and persecution, but both can be found on our streets. All over the world, wars are fought over land and resources or by pure hatred for fellow man. In our future, the world needs to change it’s morals from money to happiness, from land to peace, and from stereotypes to acceptance. This I believe.