The Essential: Family

Steve - LaGrange, Illinois

The Essential: Family

As far back as I can remember my family and I have been going camping. It used to just be my parents and my brother and me. We had a two-compartment tent that was warm and cozy. We would sometimes go with my dad’s two friends from college and their families. Those were some good times.

About two months before my third birthday my mother gave birth to a baby girl. Yet that did not stop us from camping. In 1997 we moved to the Netherlands and a year after that my little brother was born. After we moved back to America in 1999 we couldn’t just take a tent anymore. My little sister had grown and so had my brother and me. We started to shop for campers (we didn’t even think about RVs because one: the price was too expensive and two: it just wasn’t camping). We picked one out that had two pull out queen size beds, a mini couch, a mini table (it’s hard to cram in six people, but we usually eat outside), and a sink with running water. Thus our camping trips once again commenced.

Unfortunately our camper had a few problems the first few trips. On one outing our final destination was Black Hills, South Dakota. On our way there, through the state of Iowa, one of the wheels on the camper nearly fell off. Luckily my dad noticed the unusual thumping sound which was the effect from the lug nuts that nearly fell off (one of the nuts was actually sheared in half). Had we gone a mere ten more miles the wheel might have popped right off. Every year we continued to grow in experience that would be tested in the next trip. We then would be proud to know what to do when the situation arose.

Now every year we go camping across the U.S., collecting magnets from all the states that we have been to. It’s definitely a road trip worth taking. I believe every family should some vacation memory with their family. It doesn’t have to be a camping trip or an annual event, but a vacation where you let go and relax with your brothers and sisters.