Strength in Family

Luke - Western Springs, Illinois

Strength in Family

Family is a stone bridge, a bond that can neither be burned nor cut down. It is a force that cannot be broken by even the most devastating events. Nearly six years ago, my Uncle died due to heart failure. He left behind his thirty-seven year old wife and seven children, all of whom were under the age of nine. The death of my Uncle was a shock to our family because he was only thirty-eight years old, and ironically, he was a pediatric invasive cardiologist. He invented a procedure that has saved the lives of thousands of infants and children. His death, though tragic, was a reminder of the vital role family plays in all aspects of life including death. It also reminded my entire family and me of the significance we have in each others lives.

I know that without familial support, the loved ones my Uncle left behind could not have gone on. Everyone at the funeral helped to support the children emotionally with hugs and kisses. My family also maintained a positive attitude in order to sustain happiness as well as meaning in life despite the loss of my Uncle. I vividly remember the look of pure sadness on my cousins’ faces during the funeral. Each little body slacked up against the next and gained strength from other members of the family. The moment most touching was when the smiles rose up from their souls for the first time since their father’s death. It occurred when they were playing ring-around-the-rosy in the banquet hall lobby just prior lunch. They sang and danced and forgot about the sorrow that weighted down their hearts. This warmth followed them into the brunch and raised the spirits of the rest of my large family. Each member leaned on the other in this time of profound sadness.

Though a heartbreaking experience, I saw the true miracle of family in action. I could feel the love of each member and could barely swallow as it filled to the brim by the love of my relatives. Without this support, I am not sure that a single family member could have moved forward into happiness. Therefore, I believe in family and the unbreakable bond it creates. There is no time, place, or event that can sever the bond of family. I believe too, as read at my Uncle’s funeral, “Our familial circle will slowly reform in heaven when we all meet again.”