my sailing experience

Kate - Walnut Creek, California

My Sailing Experience

Dangers of sailing: falling off the boat, tipping, hitting another boat and getting stuck in the ropes if the boat tips. Those were the thoughts going through my mind. I was nine years old and it was the first day of camp. I had signed up for sailing not knowing what it was. As I was standing on the dock waiting for my group to be put on a boat, I went up to a counselor and told her I was scared. She told me that if I didn’t try new things, I might be missing out on something fun.

I am now 14 and I love sailing! If I hadn’t gone up to the counselor that first day of camp, I wouldn’t have found out that sailing is one of my favorite activities. Everyday people are faced with opportunities to try new things. Some people might take that opportunity, and some people might not. I have learned that if you don’t face your fears, then you will be missing out on a lot of things.

If you only do the things you are comfortable with you wont have any fun. If you try new things that might be scary at first, they will probably end up being fun. When you’re a kid and you’re going somewhere without your parents for the first time it might be scary, but it’s preparing you for when you are an adult.

I’m now able to try new things because I think back to that scary day on the sailing dock. I know that what I’m going to try may be scary, but will be worth it in the end. For example, going to camp for the first time was scary but it made me more independent. I can now go to camp for a month without being scared of being away from my parents. I can also try new things because I am not scared to be away from my parents.